Frequently Asked Questions

General Information

How to book an appointment on TLScontact website?

You can find more detail information on how to take an appointment on TLScontact website here.


TLScontact Added Value Services

TLScontact is pleased to offer several Services annex in our Bangkok Visa Application Centers.

These services in no way guarantees faster processing of your file by the Embassy of Portugal in Thailand.

Premium Service 1600 THB
Passport Return via Postal Service /  EMS 180 THB
Photocopy Service 8 THB
Photo Service 250 THB

For more detail regarding our Value added Services plesase click here.


Do I need a Schengen visa?

Thai passport holders

All Thai nationals must have a valid visa to enter the Schengen Area, regardless of the duration of their stay and no matter what kind of travel document they have, except if they have a valid residence permit which enables them to stay in the Schengen Area.


Where can I apply for a visa?

Visa applications for Portugal are now received by TLScontact, except for some categories that are still received by the Embassy of Portugal in Thailand directly (see Jurisdiction).

The Embassy of Portugal and TLScontact are only able to accept visa applications from Thai residents. Visa applications from non-residents, including Thai nationals, who are settled in another country can only be processed if applicants can prove that they have an urgent and unforeseen need to travel to Portugal whilst visiting Thailand and thus are unable to apply in their country of residence.

  • If you intend to visit only one Schengen country, you must apply at the Embassy or Consulate of this country.
  • If you intend to visit several Schengen countries, you must apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the country of your longest stay or the one who is, in relation to others, the main destination due to purpose of your trip (professional reasons, in a Schengen country, outweigh its jurisdiction in relation to tourist motives, family or private visit, in another state)
  • If you intend to visit several Schengen countries but do not have a main destination (i.e. the duration of your stay is very similar in all the different countries), you should apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the country that is your first point of entry.


How do I apply for a visa?

To apply for a visa, you should first register on this website, and then follow the instructions. For more details about the procedure, please click here.


When should I apply for a visa?

You may only submit your visa application within 90 days before your date of departure. We recommend that you apply at least 15 days before the date you intend to travel.


What kind of visa do I need to apply for?


Where can I get a visa application form?

Short stay Visa application form can be downloaded here:


What are the required documents for a visa?

In order to prepare all the documents required for your application, you should visit the TLScontact website and register to obtain an individualized list of required documents, according to the purpose of your stay in Portugal. All documents must be provided in English or Portuguese and if the original document is in any other language it must be provided with certified translations into English or Portuguese. To get your individualized document list, please register on our website.


Could the Visa Section request me to provide additional documents or informations?

Yes, the Embassy’s Visa Sector may request you to provide additional documents or informations, according to your personal situation, even after you have submitted your application at TLScontact. You may also be asked to an interview at the Portuguese Embassy. Please note that any additional document, which is not required in the basic list according to your type of visa, must also be accompanied with a certified translation into either English or Portuguese if it is in any other language.


What are the requirements for insurance?

The insurance should be valid for the entire territory of Member-States and cover the entire duration of stay or transit of the visa applicant. The insurance should be valid only for the duration of the stay and not for the duration of the visa.

The insurance should cover medical expenses including those of medical repatriation, medical emergency and/or hospital emergency, and de minimum required coverage is 30,000 Euros. (see list of approved insurance companies.)

Are exempt from providing insurance:

  • Holders of diplomatic passports;
  • Family members of EU Member States citizens or Swiss citizens;
  • Airport transit visa applicants.

Exemption from insurance may be applicable to certain professional catergories, such as, for exemple, maritime professions, already covered by the required professional insurance.


In which case do I need to provide the Term of Responsibility Letter?

You have to provide the Term of Responsibility Letter if you apply for a short stay visa and a friend or a relative will host you in their apartment or house.


How can I collect my passport?

Passports can be collected from Monday to Friday, 08:00 to 16:30 at TLScontact. When your passport is ready to be collected, you will be notified online on your personal account page and by SMS, informing you to come to the TLScontact center with your visa application checklist and the original and a copy of your identity card. If you chose to have your passport returned to you by EMS service, it will be sent directly to the address you have specified.


Can TLScontact send me my passport by express mail?

TLScontact offers an Express registered Mail Service (EMS) , allowing you to receive your passport directly at your home or your office. Please inform us if you wish to use this service when you submit your application at the TLScontact center.

 If you choose to cancel this service after your application has been submitted, the courier fee cannot be refunded. Recipient address and information for the courier service must be filled in by the applicant or representative during application submission appointment.

Once the application has been submitted, no changes can be made to the recipient address and information. We therefore kindly ask you to confirm recipient address and information before the application submission.

Price is 180THB per passport.


Can someone else pick up my passport for me?

Yes, a representative may retrieve your passport on your behalf provided that they bring:

  • Your application checklist
  • A copy of your ID card
  • The original and a copy of your representative’s ID card
  • An authorization letter signed by you


Can someone else apply for a visa on my behalf?

Applicants must come in person to the TLScontact center, except:

  • Children under twelve years old.
  • Persons who have been issued a Schengen visa with the mention “VIS”

If your fingerprints have not been previously collected, personal appearance is mandatory


What is the difference between a Schengen visa and a national visa?

A Schengen visa (type C) is a visa issued by one of the member countries of the Schengen Area and is valid for a short stay, limited to 90 days within any 180 days period, only for Schengen countries.

A national long stay visa (type D) is only valid for an establishment or a stay of more than 90 days in the country which issued the visa. The national visa allows, however, transit through other Schengen countries and for some it also allows traveling freely throughout the Schengen area.


Closing dates of TLScontact Centers

Closing dates of TLScontact Centers in year 2019, please click here.